Friday, December 3, 2010

Artsy Fartsy Friday




Artsy Fartsy Fridays: Day I will post about my art...hopefully it will be each week...
Why: I am not the best at finishing art/projects. To motivate myself to finish things up and keep a record of art projects, I thought I would post about some art I have done in the past and some art I am doing now...as it is finished.


I love art. All kinds.

Drawing is one type of art that I absolutely love. I could talk on and on about it. I think it is amazing how lines, angles, shapes, and shading can come together and create something that looks real. I love how something can go from looking like poo, to something that looks amazing with enough time and the right shading in the right places.

I have never taken any art classes, so I just learn from what I see. I think just about anyone can draw what they see with enough practice and attention to detail. When I was younger my mother helped me develop a more critical eye and learn how to better translate what I see on to paper. When I would draw she would give me tips and a few pointers here and there... so I guess you could say I have had some training...but nothing formal. I still have a lot of learning to do.

The type of drawing I like to do is realistic drawings. I love to draw faces and hands especially. One of my favorite drawing projects I have done was for Myles. It was for his christmas present...during my first year of college...so that would be Christmas of 2005. Wow that is kinda a while ago...I am getting old, haha. Being in college with no job, I did not have too much money for a christmas gift. So I thought something special would be great.

I drew "I love you" in sign language. What was really funny about this is that one day while talking to him I told him, I would not be able to spend much on a gift, and he said.."Don't worry all I expect is a piece of paper with I love you written on it."... Little did he know that was exactly what he would be getting. Also...while buying the framing for the drawing at Hobby Lobby, guess who we saw while checking out. Myles was there! He saw that I was paying for something with my money, so later I had to tell him that my mom needed me to buy something for her because she didn't have any money with her.....ah silly times.

Anyways, Myles loved his christmas present and was totally surprised :)

Not the best pictures, but its what I have on my computer of it.....





This last christmas I also was commissioned...(that sounds fancy) by our friends Nathan and Rebekah to draw some other hands to give to Nathan's parents for christmas.

Here is a picture of that....
(It says Forbes)

I hope his parents enjoy it!


I have more drawings to come. One that I am especially excited about...I just need to finish it. Hopefully I will show it to you some day soon. But no worries while it is in the makings, I have plenty of art to keep your fridays artsy fartsy.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember you drawing the "I Love you" sign. Trying to help you model the hands and everything. I can't wait to see more!

chelsea said...

Um, you are so amazing!

I love this idea.
I wish I was artistic.

Unknown said...

Thanks, and you are artistic! Your crafting is artistic...that counts too!

Missy- haha...I forgot about making you be a hand model. Sometimes I my hand just wasn't working:)